Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Importance of the Bible... Part 2

I really enjoyed my Psalm 119 study and I thought I would get through a few more sections at a time and continue to post them. 

If you did not read my 'The Importance of the Bible and How It Applies To You Part 1' you can click here to read it. It explains how I did my Psalm 119 study in case you would like to try it yourself.


Psalm 119: 17-24 "Do good to Your servant, and I will live; I will obey Your Word. Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in Your law. I am a stranger on earth; do not hide Your commands from me. My soul is consumed with longing for Your laws at all times. You rebuke the arrogant, who are cursed and who stray from Your commands. Remove from me scorn and contempt, for I keep Your statutes. Though rulers sit together and slander me, Your servant will meditate on Your decrees. Your statues are my delight, they are my counselors."


Questions: None


Cross References: 

  • 2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
  • Proverbs 30:5-6 "Every word of God is flawless; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words, or He will rebuke you and prove you a liar."
  • Jeremiah 15:16 "When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear Your name, O Lord God Almighty."

God's Word is...: wonderful, to be longed for, my delight

God's Word does...: wonderful things, removes me from my scorn and contempt, is my counselor

My Responsibility to God's Word: to obey it, my soul should be consumed with longing for God's law at all times, keep statutes (laws), meditate on His decrees (orders)






Psalm 119:25-32 "I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to Your Word. I recounted my ways and You answered me; teach me Your decrees. Let me understand the teaching of Your precepts; then I will meditate on Your wonders. My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to Your Word. Keep me from deceitful ways; be gracious to me through Your law. I have chosen the way of truth; I have set My heart on Your laws. I hold fast to Your statues, O Lord; do not let me be put to shame. I run in the path of Your commands, for You have set my heart free."


Questions: How can I be sure the Lord keeps me from deceitful ways?


Cross References: 

  • Psalm 43:1 "Vindicate me, my God, and plead my cause against an unfaithful nation. Rescue me from those who are deceitful and wicked."
  • Proverbs 14:8 "The wisdom of the prudent is to give thought to their ways, but the folly of fools is deception."
  • Ephesians 5:5-6 "For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person - such a person is an idolater - has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient."
  • Matthew 11:23 "Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

God's Word is...: strength to my weary soul, gracious to me, the way of truth, something that sets my heart free


God's Word does...: preserves my life, answers me, teaches me, keeps me from deceitful ways


My responsibility to God's Word: recount my ways (self-examine my decisions/behaviors/choices), learn the decrees (orders), meditate on its wonders, choose the way of Truth, set my heart on God's laws, hold fast to Your statutes Lord, run in the path of God's commands




Psalm 119:33-40 "Teach me, O Lord, to follow Your decrees; then I will keep them to the end. Give me understanding, and I will keep Your law and obey it with all my heart. Direct me in the path of Your commands, for these I find delight. Turn my heart toward Your statutes and not toward selfish gain. Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to Your Word. Fulfill Your promise to Your servant, so that You may be feared. Take away the disgrace I dread. For Your laws are good. How I long for Your precepts! Preserve my life in Your righteousness."


Questions: How do I make sure my motives for things are not selfish and how do I turn my eyes away from worthless things?


Cross References: 

  • Matthew 16:26 "For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?"
  • Philippians 1:21 "For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain."
  • 1 Timothy 6:3-12 "If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself. Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith of their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay  hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses."



God's Word is/does...: a path of God's commands, life preserving, good, where I will find delight


My responsibility to God's Word: follow the Lord's decrees, learn from God how to follow His decrees, keep and obey His law with all my heart, turn toward God's statutes and not towards selfish gain, not care about worthless things of this world, but have my life preserved by Him according to His Word, long for His precepts



No comments:

Post a Comment